About the Project
The goal of this project is to refurbish coach #1009 for use on our excursion trains. This refurbishment is being done with the goal
of maintaining as much of the original appearance of the coach as possible, while recognizing the need to meet modern safety standards,
and making the best possible use of our resources.
This project is exciting for many reasons. Among them, #1009 is the first passenger equipment owned by the Black River Railroad Historical Trust (BRRHT) and will be the first "new" coach added to the BR&W fleet in almost two decades! This is evidence of our current efforts to increase the quality of our passenger accomodations on all of our excursion trains.
About the Coach
Coach #1009 is a 78 seat coach built in 1923 by American Car & Foundry for the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ). It saw heavy use in commuter service from the 1920's through the end of CNJ passenger service. As built, the coach had a mahogany interior, which was later painted over in white and green by the CNJ in the early 1960's as part of an effort to "improve" and modernize their passenger fleet. The BRRHT acquired the coach from Steamtown National Historic Site in the mid 2000's and moved it by rail and road to our facilities in Ringoes, NJ. Additional historical information about #1009 will be posted here as our research progresses.
The oldest images are at the top of this page. Scroll down for the newest images and news!
Last update June 19, 2012.
Click on any image for a larger version.